Sunday, June 10, 2007

Day of the Turtle

Today my SiL found a turtle visiting the cat food bowls by the back step. You can see a picture of it here. This brought back to memory something that happened years ago.

Our family was going to the coast from mid - Texas to visit relatives. A long trip by car in those days, and quite an adventure in the days before common air conditioning. We had gotten a fair way down the road when my much older brother, who was driving suddenly stopped. He had spotted a turtle by the side of the highway. It was moving a little, but not in great shape. He was convinced that it was a water related type from some thing he had read or seen. He couldn't leave it there, since this was a dryer part of the state. So we put in the back with me. We feed it some bits from lunch and gave it water. Generally it rested and munched. It drank with me holding the lid I used for a dish tilted at first then it stretched out to get what it needed. Our turtle friend revived slowly but surely as we went along. We bought a can of meat for it, canned ham I think. It ate lettuce and veggies as well. We were happy that it seemed to like us and took to our talking to it, letting us gently touch it as we went along. It was a shock for the family when we arrived. I think we always were sort the wilder side of the clan to them; but at least we were never dull to have in their home. They were glad to see us come, seriously welcomed us (maybe hoped to exert a more civilized influence - not sure it worked).

This trip had a special plan which I hadn't been let in on, pending days off arranged,etc. We were to get to go to Corpus Christi's Buccaneer Days. My last Halloween costume had been a satin pirate outfit with black oilskin "boots" to wear over my shoes. My brother had a bandanna and some gear, too. Now we knew we had to try to find the turtle a home as quickly as possible., but no one offered to take our turtle before the festival. Some marine study group gave advice on food and handling, but the place most likely to have room for it was closed as they were already gone for their set up at festival themselves. We did get information on their plans and booth.

We found a box for the turtle that night. We covered it, making sure of provisions and air. We put it in their kitchen as living with it in bed was forbidden and not considered good for the turtle. (That was the argument I remember working.) We went to bed thinking of our poor little critter and secretly planning an alternate course - how we might get it set up as a real pet at home. About three in the morning some thumps, thuds and general clangs were heard in the kitchen. It made me hungry, so I went to see who was clumsily raiding the goodies from the family feast. The lady of the house was in the hallway, also checking it out with a very different idea as to the noise. We were soon joined by most of the folks. The men decided to find out by rushing the swinging door which didn't open as they had expected. So not hearing sounds for a moment they began to try to get it to swing toward them. Then the bangings began again, since then hadn't scared off - the whoever/whatever - they braced themselves and sent the women back a pace or two. Being Texans and proud of it the women started looking for heavy objects. When the door opened out they entered throwing on the light - and seeing .....no one? Then the thud from under the kitchen table got their attention, there was the turtle shoving the shiny chrome chairs around the room. Everyone relaxed and laughed at the strong little guy. It had re-arranged the trash container and mops, too. Our turtle was feeling a lot better. My brother and I had to put turtle back to settle in the box again after apologizing for it and straighting the room. We were kinda proud at what it could do, but decided not to tell them we felt that just then.

When they said we were going to Buccaneer Days I was elated, and by now we had realized the turtle was to going to have to go along. We didn't dare let it roam the house alone. I was to have the privilege of carrying it and caring for it most of the time. I gloried in being trusted and in the way the family had come around and accepted the turtle. My concern was on figuring out what to call my new friend. It was years before I realized that this left my brother freer to enjoy wandering around this way. Little sister and turtle were accounted for and willing to stay in one spot over and over while showing it off, feeding it, etc.

Turtle (since I couldn't get a name it would respond to) watched the parade with me and played along for awhile, but it grew tired of showing off and soon tucked itself in and napped. My brother had found some of the people he'd talked to on the phone and gone with them. When he got back it was clear he'd also found some beer. The napping turtle was still avoiding the traveling show life and I was getting tired, too. I started carrying it sideways for comfort. My brother had caught the eye of a couple of older teen girls and he wanted to impress them. He hadn't quite listened when their small talk went to my "clutch bag".

He was telling how he'd seen the turtle and got it, they wanted to skip the next part and see the turtle shell close up. I let them, at his request; a great conversation piece.....if you are into screams.....Turtle came out stretching and pawing and blinking. They nearly dropped it, that was one of those moments where my brother and looked at other and we saw the difference between us (critter lovers) and THEM(those who Never meant to touch a _whatever__) as we caught it away from them. I guess they thought he'd been about to tell them how he'd made the turtle into my 'purse' or something. He was disappointed in the lovelies failure and said so. They were still squeally-silly and wide-eyed, and I'd swear the turtle smirked. Turtle and I went to a grassy place for practical considerations and getting further from the noise and excitement. It was a very unique evening for all.

We did eventually get our turtle friend a home in San Antonio at the Zoo. By then we were both happy and sad to give it up. I thought the week-end was a very suitable adventure for a young pirate and a sea loving brother. Our extended kindred happily sent us home again with their prayers and good wishes.


When our family went to see the new Pirates movie my grandchildren, daughter and I enjoyed ourselves immensely. We did wear a bit of suitable gear, and enjoyed seeing some teens truly decked out in their favorite characters duds.

No comments: